Do you ever get in a yarn rut?
I don’t know about you, but I tend to make the same crochet items over and over again. For me, it’s blankets and hats. (And with an Etsy shop to keep up, I find myself making a LOT of hats!)
It’s fun to get better and better at something, but sometimes, we just need to expand our horizons a bit; we need a challenge. We need to think outside the box.
There’s an awesome Craftsy class called “Crafty Crochet Embellishments” that teaches quite a few techniques that you may not have tried; from adding embellishments to plain ol’ sweaters, to putting fancy edging on blankets and pillowcases, this class includes hours of close-up instruction and printable patterns for 7 different projects. You’ll learn how to:
- edge a fleece blanket
- edge a pillowcase
- edge a handtowel
- embellish a cardigan
- change the look of flowers by swapping yarns
- crochet leaves
- crochet earrings
- embellish flip flops
Want to check it out for yourself? Click here!
In honor of “thinking outside the box”, I’ve put together a fun roundup of 8 FREE crochet patterns that will hopefully get you thinking way beyond blankets! Some of these might already be in your “box”; maybe you’ve made lots of coffee cozies, but you’ve never attempted to crochet a pair of earrings. Or maybe you crochet blankets all the time, but you’ve never tried adding crochet edging to a fleece blanket. I hope that something on this list will catch your eye and get you brainstorming about how YOU can get creative with the skills you already have!
1. Crochet O’Clock Tutorial | According to Matt
2. Copenhagen Pillow Crochet Pattern | Red Heart
3. Striped Mug Cozy | Little Monkeys Crochet
4. Crochet Fleece Blankets | Little Yellow House Blog
5. Blocks Curtain | Bernat
6. Crochet Flip Flops | Lion Brand (free registration required)
7. Crochet Ring Necklace | Cre8tion Crochet
8. Flower Power Crochet Earrings | Diva Stitches Crochet
– – – – – – –
– – – – – – –
This is a FREE pattern, and by using it, you're agreeing to the following legally-protected conditions. You're welcome to sell what you make with it; for online listings, please link back to my blog using something like this:
- Do not resell the pattern, altered or in its original form.
- Do not copy and paste the pattern onto your own blog, in a Facebook group, or anywhere else. Simply link to this page instead. Anything beyond this is copyright theft, regardless of what your pattern-sharing buddies tell you. 🙂
- Do not pull any of my photos from this site (or any of my other sites) for your own use. The exception to this is if you want to share my article link(s) on your own blog; in this case, you are welcome to take one photo per post for use on your site as long as it is accompanied by a direct link back to my post.